Ana uses a popular reading program to teach her children to read, build their confidence in reading, and make lessons fun.
How am I going to teach my kids to read? As a parent whose first language is not English, this question has been haunting me for years. Teaching my children phonics sounds intimidating and almost impossible to me. Not to mention, my 6-year-old son was struggling with putting sounds together, which knocked his reading confidence. I was worried that he was going to fall behind.
I began to search for reading apps to download on my iPad to engage my kids in reading that’s more fun. I came across the Hooked on Phonics Learn to Read Digital Program! Hallelujah! Immediately, I saw how much my kids were engaged, not just my 6-year-old son, but my 4-year-old and my 2-year-old daughters too! Hooked On Phonics hooked my kids’ attention immediately!
You will never forget the first time you see your child realize they are reading! What a precious moment! I had tears in my eyes. Honestly! You might want to capture a video of your child while they try their first lesson in the Hooked on Phonics Learn to Read Digital Program. What a wonderful moment to capture!
About the Program
The Hooked on Phonics Learn to Read Digital Program is an award-winning program filled with videos, songs, and games to teach your children to read. The songs are fun and catchy, the stories are funny and easy enough to make any child feel they can read it. The program is very fun, engaging, easy to use, and very effective.
Hooked on Phonics Learn to Read Digital Program is a great way to engage children in reading from Pre-K to 1st-grade level (great for 2nd graders who are facing challenges reading).
- Hooked on Phonics Learn to Read Digital Program is a complete reading program divided into 24 steps.
- In each step, your child will find:
- Fun music videos that teach the sound of the letters (Fair warning to parents: it is impossible not to memorize all the songs.)
- Interactive games that will help your child reinforce what they have learned and will also introduce new sounds and word families, so they can start building up words and reading!
The Hooked on Phonics Digital Learn to Read Program includes:
- 12 steps designed for kindergarten reading level
- 12 steps designed for 1st-grade reading level
- 36 reading lessons
- Over 100 games and activities
- 28 music videos
- 72 ebooks
7 Benefits of the Program:
- Gain access to Hooked on Phonics anytime from any device: tablets, smartphones and even from a desktop computer too! Everything is synchronized between your devices.
- It’s a multi-sensorial program. Kids learn by watching (visual), listening (audio) and dragging letters around to build words and sentences (kinesthetic).
- Register up to 3 children. Their progress will save automatically.
- Reward reading success. Kids receive trophies and rewards for their progress.
- The program’s dashboard is easy to navigate, showing the child’s current step, achievements, and progress.
- Kids learn important phonics skills while having fun.
- At the end of each lesson, kids feel empowered and confident to read stories on their own.
Ways to Use the Program:
While my kids enjoy their individual time on the iPads doing their Hooked on Phonics, we don’t have enough iPads to go around for everyone. During those times, the kids gather around one device to watch the videos together and take turns doing the games.
Here are some ideas to continue to engage kids in reading after the device shuts off:
Use a whiteboard to write the letters and blends from each Hooked on Phonics lesson. This helps your child continually to visualize them and remember what they are learning at the moment.
- Make flashcards of the letters, word families, and blends flashcards. Use the flashcards to play games with your child, like: Who can build more words?
- Ask your child to write the words they remember from the current Hooked on Phonics lesson on a notebook for reinforcement.
- Grab old magazines and go on a letter scavenger hunt! In a plain piece of paper, write a big letter in the middle and ask your child cut and paste pictures of things that begin with that letter sound.
The experience from the digital program can last much longer even after you turn the device off.
There is also a special interactive word and a sentence-building feature that will load with the words your child learns in each lesson. This feature allows them to have hours of free play and practice.
The Hooked On Phonics Learn To Read Digital Program has taught my kids to read with confidence. Today they all love to read books and proudly read aloud in front of others.
As a homeschooling mom, I highly recommend this program to any preschooler, kindergartener or any child struggling with reading.
More great reading resources that we use in our homeschool:
- uKloo Early Reader Treasure Hunt
- uKloo Riddle Edition Treasure Hunt Game
- Multi-Sensory Sight Word Practice Pages
About the All-Star Blogger
Ana is the unhurried homeschooling mom of 3, wife, momtrepreneur and blogger. She loves to encourage, inspire and empower moms around the world to live abundant life with joy and gratitude even through the toughest seasons. She shares about homeschooling, homemaking, healthy living and holy moments at www.theycallmeblessed.org.
Was this blogger’s review helpful? Share it with your community!